I have had a couple of weeks break and feel that I have lost
track slightly. I have my project pack
to pick up, it contains a copy of Nicola Tyrer’s book ‘They fought in the
fields’ a USB with a number of files on it, including the Suffolk Review article
and a pass to enable copying and printing.
My aim during this visit is to take a look at the West
Suffolk Agricultural Committee Minutes and see if they hold any
information.
I systematically work through but am unable to find anything specific. What is clear is the overarching power that the War Agricultural committees wielded over the regional Agricultural commitees – it isn’t said but you can feel it.
What is nice about the West Suffolk Agricultural minutes is that they are typed rather than handwritten, they could obviously afford a typewriter over in Bury!
Once again I get used to the structure of the meetings, it is interesting to
note that the W.I had a standing agenda item where they document how many
demonstrations and talks they have given.
After lunch it is back to the newspapers, being able to
print out helps and I actually come across a photo, of note is that the man overseeing the girls is named but not the girls themselves! A reflection of the time.
Outside the WLA bits is a story reported
Friday 10th July 1942 about a butcher in Saxmundham being fined £30
for making up weight of orders with ‘wrong bones" in other words adding
additional weight to an order by using bones from a different type of meat, the
deputy meat inspector from Lowestoft had been called and found three joints which
‘had bones on them which had no relation to the joint’. Why do I think this is the kind of thing that would happen today.
After finishing with the East Anglian for the day I ask the
archivist on the help desk about an inquest record that says it can’t be viewed
because it is in a closed file for 75 years.
We work out that we are just over the 75 years – so it is brought down
for me. Reading it brings a sad end to
the day.


No comments:
Post a Comment