Sunday, June 16, 2019

How did I get here?


Let’s start at the very beginning, I came to the project back in about March time when I met with the volunteer co-ordinator for SRO in Endeavour House in Ipswich, along with a friend I was interested in doing voluntary work, we were told about some of the opportunities that were available and later emailed details.   Two projects stood out, the Women’s Land Army in Suffolk and also the Heritage High Street project set in Aldeburgh.  I selected the WLA as the project was about to kick off.

A group meeting for volunteers on the project was held where we met Nicky and Vicky who are leading the project and were told a bit about the project, what it aims to achieve, and the timescales involved.   We also heard about the initial research that they had been doing looking at and photographing WLA service records held at Duxford, these cards hold very little information – name, home address, age, occupation on joining and reason for leaving, they don’t give any information about where the individual worked.

After the meeting we scatter out into the region tasked with finding out what we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment