I’m not really quite sure what to expect on my first visit,
but on getting to the Record Office I bump into a friend and former colleague
who is doing research into Garrett’s of Leiston. She is here to take some photographs of
material relevant to her research.
Not knowing where to start or how anything works she
helpfully runs through using the catalogue with me. I note down various references that could be
useful. I locate the article in Suffolk
Review and make some notes. There are lots of leads – farms and names
that could be followed up. I also note
that the author interviewed various Land Girls, I wonder if these tapes still
exist, or indeed are the women still alive.
After a break I decide to take a look at the East Anglian
Daily Times on Microfiche. I seek some
help setting up the machine, and once the screen is at the right size start to
work through the paper.
I start in the
1940s, it’s all very early stages of the war, very much about derelict land and
shortage of labour. I get very
sidetracked by general news of the time, trolley-cars seem particularly hazardous
with many accidents being reported.
I leave having found little but with more leads and ideas.
I note to myself that if I am going to stay any length of
time (ie. The whole day) I need to bring food, water and teabags.
No comments:
Post a Comment